View Single Post
Old 17th March 2019, 03:42 PM   #12
motan

Hi Ariel,
Nice lesson in history, and verifiable too. However, I did make some valid points and shown the examples to go with them. You can not deny that the blade and koftgiri, as well as the type of scabbard of Corrad26's look Syrian. Further, the Lebanese style was not invented by Haddad, but developed from more diverse local types in Lebanon, some of which were influenced by Syrian style. It would be strange if it was not so.

I want to take this opportunity to clarify a misconception about Majdali daggers. True, similar daggers were made in other part of Syria already early on. However, Majdal Shams had two main types: one which you showed in your post and the other had blades more similar to Corrado26's dagger, as shown in the pictures below.
The misconception is that only the ones with broad hilt, heavy blade and decoration etched in the base of the blade (like the ones you show) are genuine Majdali daggers. The type in the pictures was made in Majdal Shams, at least from 1910 (the oldest I have seen with date) and many are signed with the village name on the blade. You can look in Artzi's site under Magdali.
Attached Images

motan is offline   Reply With Quote