View Single Post
Old 15th September 2020, 06:40 PM   #4
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Pulka, I am not a gun collector, but find them fascinating in their history. You are right, U.K. and U.S. weapons have a plethora of material, but European arms are more specialized and references tend to be abundant but usually in the respective languages of the countries or regions being studied.

Most arms books have sections for various weapons unless the title s specific to one weapon or another. For example, "Spanish Military Weapons in Colonial America 1700-1821" (Brinckerhoff & Chamberlain" 1972) has sections on swords, knives, polearms and firearms.
The book "European and American Arms" (Claude Blair, 1962) is the same, with a chapter with illustrations.
Reference titles are almost endless and my best method is to go to the bibliographies in various arms books and select appropriate titles.

Beyond that, one of your BEST resources is right here!!! .......just go to SEARCH on the header for our site and type in what you're looking for.
It is amazing to see the knowledge of many members (including Corrado and Fernando) who specialize in historic guns, along with many others in over two decades of entries on every imaginable form and country.

This is the best route, and if you like we can tell you titles to purchase, but these usually are expensive. First get the information you need by specific areas, period, type etc. then go for titles.

I join the others in welcoming you here, and look forward to your questions. Recommendations on books are quite based on individual perceptions and specifics.

Best regards
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote