View Single Post
Old 15th July 2020, 12:00 AM   #8
Philip

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian

With the questions:

Those iron brackets are unmovable. The bow would be placed against the end grain of the stock between the top & bottom row of hooks, this does not obscure the arrow. The lashing would pass diagonally across the mid point of the bow, diagonally from hook to hook, top left to bottom right, etc. This would effect a very firm & sound fastening & still not obscure the arrow's hole, nor pass over the top of the gun's stock. All the pressure from the bow being drawn would be taken by the end grain of the stock that the bow is placed upon. The lashings would take no strain.

The sear bar is short & stouts & move down a short distance, it does not rotate like a crossbow or stone bow 'nut'. It does appear strong enough to handle a bow that can be drawn by hand, but not a bow that would require a mechanical device or leg strength etc.
OK, now I see it, the lengthwise slot goes all the way through the forestock, I was distracted by what appeared to be some sort of a "filler" but which was actually the background surface against which you took the picture. Duh!

So, a transverse bow with the center resting on the shoulder of the forestock, the four hooks accommodating the lashing, the arrow exiting directly below the barrel enabling the shooter to utilize the same aiming-plane and sights. Ingenious! Congratulations, you seem to be the first kid on the block to have one of these, and it's a mighty big block. I can't recall even the Royal Armouries Museum, or the Roy Elvis collection of south Indian arms, having something like this. If someone else on the forum has one, or the same essential concept from another Asiatic culture, I hope he will share it here sometime.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote