View Single Post
Old 9th June 2007, 10:15 PM   #13
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Hi Jim and Jeff.
Time to update you on this saga.
On the maker's mark, i still have nothing solid. As Jeff well sugested, it could not belong to the smith but to the trader, whom doesn't seem to be known enough to be regconized. There is also the problem of the faded name which, after several tests out there, is considered to be ALFRED SCHULTZ, but still not recorded anywhere so far. The human bust could be a Bishop and not a King, but also no evidence of its record.
As for type of this piece, let me tell you that, before it ended up identified, it was called respectively: hunting sword, infantry or police sidearm, Collins machete, russian shasqa, cutacha, rehilted WWI bayonet, Museum Replicas shasqua, and so on Quite an endurance
Then suddenly somebody comes up with a picture of a similar piece, posted in a thread four years ago, where the moderator asked an expert to identify.
The name of the piece is Machete do Monte.
The poster was not2sharp, the moderator was Bernard Levine ( bladeforums.com ) and the expert is Carter Rila.
As for the age, a different opinion dated that typeface around 1880, as also others sugested that the engraving could be a later work, so not necessarily representing the date of manufacturing of the piece.
In view of all this, i decided to go back to the seller and buy him something more peacefull The attached pictures show a piece much easier to atribute a manufacturer I just have to find out whether this is a machete or some kind of variation. The age, i hope is XIX century, until i hear or read otherwise. The grips would be horn. The guard and fittings are german silver ( this the term? ). The blade on this one is much thinner and wider, and is 14" long. It's good it keeps its leather scabbard.
Best regards
fernando
Attached Images

fernando is offline   Reply With Quote