View Single Post
Old 25th March 2024, 04:56 PM   #15
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendary_Jarl View Post
Hello,

I remember seeing somewhere that people from the Canary Islands were prohibited from owning/making weapons such as swords and daggers. Therefore I don't believe these daggers you have came from the Canary Islands.
Prohibited? there are NO knives from Canary Islands?

In going through discussions involving the Canary Islands 'naife', the collective term for edged weapons from this archipelago which is part of Spain, though autonomous.....it seems there were variations of these weapons....the form pictured is the most well known.

These have certain resemblances to Chilean corvo in the hilt, but the blade has a unique curved inset at the end of the edge to the hilt stem...which is often referred to as the "Spanish notch' or Meditteranean notch. This feature became well known on many knife forms in the trade traffic from Spain into the western regions and the Canary Islands were of course an established point of contact.

It would, as I have noted, be interesting to know where the notion of prohibiting edged weapons on any of these islands is derived, especially as there seems to be a notable division of geopolitical control over them. In using the valuable 'SEARCH' feature here, I was able to pull up discussions on these pages back to 2008, all discussing the distinctive CANARY ISLANDS naife form with interesting discourse from the local authorities on these types of weapons.
Attached Images

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 25th March 2024 at 05:41 PM.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote