View Single Post
Old 23rd May 2016, 06:29 AM   #8
Robert
EAAF Staff

Hello Detlef, and thank you for your kind words and interest. The fact that the head of this spear is more or less permanently attached to the shaft by the incorporation of a socket instead of a tang (as most if not all other spearheads from the Philippines are) makes these rather unique in their construction. As you have pointed out, the lower bindings on this example extends completely over the end of the metal socket and onto the wooden portion of the shaft itself. This binding combined with a good tight fit between wood and metal are the only things I can see holding the head to the shaft. Before I was able to examine this example closely I had always assumed that when hinalung's (with the more leaf shaped blades like this one) were to be used as a spearhead were fitted to the end of the wooden shaft by either a tight fit between wood and metal combined with a steel cross pin (like those used to help secure the heads on spears like the "falfeg" or possibly the combination of a tight fit and the use of some form of adhesive. I have never seen one of the hinalung's with the more triangular shape to the end of the blade ever mounted as a spear. If I remember correctly I did however read somewhere that this more triangular shaped tip would greatly hinder the blade's ability to penetrate properly so it was mostly used (depending on its length) as either a knife, a hand axe or shortsword. Again, my thanks to all who have shown interest and offered much needed information on this item and hopefully to those yet to comment.

Best,
Robert
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote