View Single Post
Old 19th May 2016, 04:17 AM   #1
Robert
EAAF Staff

Default Bontoc/Igorot "Fangkao" Spear

This spear (thanks to a very good friend) is the newest addition to my collection of Northern Philippines items. From the little information I have been able to gather this piece according to Stone's is called a "fangkao" which basically is a hinalung that has been mounted as a spear. The overall length is 59 inches with the sharpened section of the blade being 8 inches in length, 1-3/4 inches at its widest point and a socket 4-1/2 inches in length. There is some minor damage to the rattan banding where it extends over the metal of the socket onto the wooden shaft. I believe that these are the only Philippine spearheads that uses a socket instead of a tang in their construction. This is the only almost complete example (it is missing the butt spike) of this style of spear that I have ever seen outside of books. If any forum member happen to have an example of one of these spears in their own collection please post a photo of it here for comparison. The one photo below showing the complete spear is from the auction as all the full length photo's I had taken did not turn out well enough to post. As to why the spears head looks shiny in that one photo I would guess to be from bad lighting. Any information or comments on this item would be greatly appreciated.

Best,
Robert
Attached Images

Last edited by Robert; 19th May 2016 at 04:52 AM.
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote