View Single Post
Old 14th July 2021, 06:14 PM   #8
xasterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indio_Ira View Post
Thank you all for the feedbacks.

It could have been mislabeled indeed.

I’ve never seen another Pulahan blade besides this one- but the red guard definitely is a good indication wouldn’t you all think?

Pulahan (those wearing red) chosen color is red after all.

Would be great to identify the engravings as well.

Not necessarily. Many bandoleros (bandit groups) used red as the color of their standard during the insurrection eras, including but not limited to the Katipunan. Contrary to popular belief and as cited in several historical documents, the pulahans didn't actually wear red clothes in battle, and not all of them used the red standard (which may be why their were called "pulahan" in the first place).

...as my mentor would say, imagine wearing red on the battlefield. That makes you a very easy target, doesn't it? The Waray knew better than to wear red trousers + white shirts as their battle uniform. The pulahan, for the most part, did not have such a uniform. It's in the lesser-known books and historical accounts...one just needs to dig really deep and veer away from mainstream references.

The engravings are typical of Luzon bolos and can also be seen in Luzon leather scabbards.

I've read somewhere else that you've started a YouTube channel- best of luck on that. I'd strongly recommend getting a copy of the publication entitled "A Warrior's Armament and Ornament: The Edwin R. Bautista Collection of Philippine Bladed Weapons."

No offense to Cato, but a lot of info is either incorrect or inaccurate in his book. This latest publication sorts out a lot of things, and has the latest data. I suggest you get a hold of it, as it's been vetted by the best Philippine traditional blade experts, from both the academe and collectors' circles. It would be a good reference to base your content on.
xasterix is offline   Reply With Quote