View Single Post
Old 25th June 2007, 04:42 AM   #18
PenangsangII

Sorry Blu, I cant provide a picture of the keris panjangs I used to hold because they are not mine. Come to think of it again, I have to agree with you keris panjang is not very well balanced compare to the normal sized keris, but it still can be used as a good weapon (if no other weapon is at hand).

Newsteel, your comparing the rapier with klewang is like comparing apple & orange. I think a rapier should be compared to the Javanese tempius or pedang sodok.

In addition, pls bear in mind, keris is to be used as a weapon with the Malay combat mentality that is not to take on the opponents strength heads on. It is somewhat like aikido principle - circular motion, use of opponent's force against him etc. Also, western boxing principle, the quick jab but to the body instead of the head, with a clenched fist - the way anyone would grip a keris, then everything would make sense.

A keris bearer in those days had to engage in fights not only againt another keris bearer but also those armed with pedang, klewang, tombak etc. So, to engage those with heavier weapons heads on was a plain stupidity unless the keris bearer employed the above tactics & techniques.
PenangsangII is offline   Reply With Quote