Thread: WW1 MK2 Kukri
View Single Post
Old 11th June 2007, 09:43 PM   #3
spiral

Yes sadley fake ww1 1917 kukri go through ebay evry week.

Heres an update of an article I did for Internation kukri reserch & historic society after updating for Sword Forum Antinque kukri forum. It illustrates the offcial British Gurkha kukri variations. There our other real types but not offcialy patterned. They are also also more of a mine field if you are inexpierienced with kukri, there a lot of old innacurate information still on the net despite JPs requests for it to be removed & ignored.

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

The 20th Century British Military Pattern Gurkha Issue Kukri.

Perhaps this little article will help answear some of the most frequant questians I see & hear about the main British Gurkha military pattern kukri.

Many kukris have been used by the Nepali Gurkhas of the British army, with small purchases by various, units, regiments, & of course many private purchases by individual officers & men.

But there have only ever been 5 military pattern number kukris in official British Gurkha issue.

Other models have been issued notably various length military Sirupati in WW2 , & the various kaudi less hybrid kukri/dah models from 1919 to 1945 , & indeed The famous "Mahraraja of Jodhpur" kukris in WW1 although sadley any real evidence or photos of them bieng carried to date is totaly lacking.

Many traditional kukris are seen in photos from WW1 & WW2 and these can be either early or more unofficial{non pattern.} kukri or private purchase or even family heirloom kukri, as according to the Brigade of Gurkhas many Gurkhas returned from thir first leave with a traditional kukri rather than a military issue variant. Judging from photos tha majority carried issue kukri though.

Historical Family hierloom kukris were sometimes even brought along by the new recruits, who according to various testimonies from WW2 veterans those that did would often only use those as their weapons while using the issue kukri for utility work.

Here are the 5 patterns. In number order Mk.1 at top.

……………………………………………………………………………

The First official numbered British Indian Gurkha military kukri the mk.1 was in production by 1903 up until at least 1915.

It was a break from the traditional hidden partial tangs to a full length rat tail tang culminating in turn nut similar in design to a rifle stock recessed into the walnut butt.

Many of them are unmarked although some later 1915 models carry manufactures stamp Co. & sometimes FW marks on the spine occur which may be the inspection mark from Fort William.

There weights vary from 24oz to 33 oz {On those I have examined.} Blade lengths typicaly in the 13 1/4 to 14 inch range.

Here are the 2 variant mk. I s, the lower longer handled one is a rarer variant. Although all mk.1s are rare most are short handled.

……………………………………………………………………………….

The mk.2 was in production by 1915 & was to stay in manufacture for the British army until at least 1944 so certainly they ran into production figures of many thousands.

It has been produced by many manufactures & armories over the years.

Commercial private purchase versions production continued after the war.

There weights can vary from 22oz to 28oz but most seem to be the 24 oz to 25 oz range.{On those I have examined.}

The 3 ww1 manufactures most often seen are {with years of production runs that I know off so far.}

CO. 1915,1916, 1917, 1918, 1919, The predominant maker by far, made at Cossipore arsenal more famous for its artilary pieces.

DHW 1918, 1919

RGB 1917, 1918

Rarer manufactures include,

E.boota Singh &sons, {Rawlpindi} 1917

AS & Sons Ltd. A model of which only one very high quality piece is known dating from 1916.

RFI {Rifle Factory Ishapore.} are also known to have made a small high quality batch in 1927.

In ww2 well known manufactures include.

ATD, {Army Traders Dharan} {or possibly Dehra Dun} 1942, 1943

MIL, 1941, 1942,

Pioneer, {Calcutta} 1943, 1944

Queera Bros. 1943, 1944

JNB 1941, 1942, 1943, 1944

One variant mk.2 often called the M.43 after the manufactures stamp found on it is identifiable by the mark, & sunken rivets combined with an integrally welded tang , bolster join, but as these 2 later features can be found on other mk.2s the mark is the real key. {Although some occasionally appear to have escaped marking.}

Some people refer to this as a separate model in my opinion it is just a particular manufacturers interpretation of the design as none of the differences sited only occur on m.43s other than the stamp.

I have an early m.43 which has the original style handle of the early mk.2s, which helps show its ancestry.

Here 3 mk. 2s a typical Co. made 1917 , at top, a Queeta Bros. mk.2 in the middle, and a m.43 at the bottom.

Heers typical Co. & m.43 stamps.

……………………………………………………………………………………………..
spiral is offline   Reply With Quote