View Single Post
Old 26th October 2016, 10:27 AM   #21
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
Thank you for your response Ibrahiim.
I'm still very puzzled by the lack of any way in which to accommodate the excess oil. All the tables of this type that I can find images of have some provision for oil built into the projection, either a bowl, or a spout or something. I understand your comments in respect of the oil, but that does not address the problem whilst the board is in use.

Perhaps you might be so kind as to ask your Indian informants how the oil problem was managed with this type of table that does not seem to have any provision for oil.

Given, this little table does have a similar overall appearance to a massage table, but when we look at the details, it just doesn't seem to have the same characteristics as a massage table.

I've actually tried to fit my body into a space that is 650mm (25.5") wide. I am not a big man, and although fairly heavy in the upper body, I'm not over weight. A space 650mm wide is insufficient to accommodate my shoulders and arms. Possibly this board was meant as a massage board/table for a child? I doubt that it could be used for many adults.

Is it barely possible that your informants may have been misled by the overall form and overlooked the missing details?

Since you are fortunate enough to have access to people with local knowledge at hand, could you possibly go just one step further and ask if they can explain the significance of the motif carved into the projection? It is this motif that aroused my interest in the first place, because I believe that this motif holds the key to identity of this artefact, rather than the overall form.

Thank you for your attention.
Salaams A. G. Maisey and thank you for the questions...
No one has a clue as to the design. It seems to be essentially Hindu Arch style . In respect of oil I assume it can also be kept in a bowl at the side...although since a large part appears to be cut/broken off it is possible the bowl was incorporated in that part? I have a few pictures ...
Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Attached Images

Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote