View Single Post
Old 22nd June 2014, 06:11 PM   #14
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Iain you have described these circumstances as always perfectly and eloquently! I think Lee once described the use of a term to describe a type of item collectively the suffix NOS (=not otherwise specified).

Ariel thank you for the clarification on that book title, I think Gav was actually referring to the title in that sense as in discussion using vernacular we often used predominant term or authors name for brevity. I often term that reference simply 'Perski' in conversation without thinking of the literal meaning. It is good to note here however for the readers, and much appreciated.

Gav, good point on the trade blade aspect, and in that sense this one would be rather at the high end of the spectrum in that it may well be a blade intended either diplomatically or 'promotionally'. Clearly it went to a person of standing as we have noted that these unusual variant hilts were usually used by high ranking officials or nobility.

Ibrahiim, thank you very much for the link to the snake worship aspects, and indeed the snake becomes a most important icon and symbol in many of these African cultures. It is always difficult to presume meanings or purpose in the subjective nature of tradition and superstition, and good to consider the aspects collectively before dismissing certain possibilities.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote