View Single Post
Old 22nd June 2014, 11:04 AM   #11
Iain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edster
Hi Iain,

Could we say that this particular sword is indeed not a kaskara? While the blade is magnificent, it has a tapered profile and is narrower than the traditional form. Kaskarae as we know them use either trade, or local cast or forged blades not wootz. The only attribute that would point to kaskara is the cross guard, certainly not the double pommel.

So the question is "what does a kaskara make?

Ed
Hi Ed,

This is quite the question! But I'll give you my take on it, which is heavily influenced by my experiences with takouba as well.

Jim and Gav have covered some excellent points already.

Firstly the term kaskara has an odd journey into the lexicon of the western collector. I've written about this in the past and won't rehash all the details, however it is central Sudanese sword derived from Kanuri and appearing as a loan word in diverse areas including Bagirmi. This in itself is interesting but not overly useful as it simply means sword. So, from a linguistic point of view kaskara means nothing specific, only the definition collectors have come to associate with the general pattern of these swords.

The blade profile of kaskara are usually quite similar, but in my view this is due to the use of trade blades, often European, than any particular local requirement. The blades were in certain general proportions and local manufacture tended to follow along the same lines.However any good piece of steel seems to have been used. Blades originally found in Ethopian saif, sabre blades and more. This particular Persian blade could also be termed a "trade" blade of sorts and follows the general proportions of a typical kaskara. It is straight, double edged of about the typical length and of a similar tip form.

The hilt as Jim notes is of a sub type that while rare, is certainly known. I'm attaching a photo from the armoury at Leeds (photo credit goes to the Akaal Arms blog).

So, what does make a kaskara? For me it's the same thing that makes a takouba. A particular style of hilting. In this case the pommel form and distinctive cross guard married to a straight, double edged blade, encompassing the most distinctive elements usually observed in a Sudanese broadsword.
Attached Images

Iain is offline   Reply With Quote