View Single Post
Old 5th August 2013, 12:46 PM   #22
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveA
I'm looking at these pictures of beautiful Ngombe swords, some cleaned down to the raw metal and appearing spanking new, and others showing the passage of time. I know feelings are mixed among among members of the forum on the various aspects and merits of preservation vs. restoration. For now, I'm thinking that the African weapons have a greater beauty when they show their age. Arrest the rust and preserve the rest!

Best,

Dave A.
Hello Dave,

I don't want to start a discussion what is a correct maintenance of ethnograhic weapons and I am aware like you that there are different perceptions special between european and american collectors. But I have several questions and notes.
First, I see only one ngala in up which seems to my eyes somewhat overcleaned, all other apparently cleaned blades still have the signs of wear and age IMHO.
Second, why you write this special about african weapons? Where you see the different between maybe philippine and african blades? I think that every tribal warrior have kept his respected and surely expensive weapons in a good and clean state. Furthermore is a rusted blade improper for fighting IMO.

Do you think that I have overcleaned my ngala and do you have let it in the state the backside still have? Please have a look to the detail pictures from the cleaned blade. And frankly said, the blade look on the pictures much cleaner as in real.

In my opinion I have only removed rust and no patina. BTW, I have some blades with a dark surface which I have let in this state, but this blades haven't had active rust. See attached image.

I hope that you don't feel attacked by my questions since this isn't my purpose.

Best regards,

Detlef
Attached Images

Last edited by Sajen; 5th August 2013 at 01:09 PM.
Sajen is online now   Reply With Quote