Thread: Takouskara
View Single Post
Old 27th July 2021, 11:04 AM   #25
Iain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubur View Post
I remember that you wrote something like that about a shortened takouba, then I collected and saw several short takouba and kaskara and I disagree, some swords were just short, short swords, not for children, but for personal and practical reasons.

I was thinking like you about the pommel until I received the sword, the pommel is not added, it is one single piece of massive brass. I think you posted, or you have some takouba hilts with one single piece of brass, do you have an idea where they were made? I’m still struggling with the pommel…
I don't think shortened kaskara are made for the stage, I think some short kaskara with the lizard or alligator scabbards with sheet metal blades are made for tourists.

I have seen several swords that absolutely were modified for this. One was a takouba hilt on a replacement blade that was marked with the name of the theatre Many kaskara were also modified in Europe to have more "european" style medieval disc pommels. They appear in auctions sometimes, its really unfortunate but not uncommon.

I am struggling to see anything African about that pommel as well. yes, some takouba have solid cast hilts, but its usually done in one piece and in the traditional form. See the attached. Yours has a distinct guard, grip tube and then the pommel I think? or you think it was cast in one piece?

I dont' think I've ever seen a takouba with a pommel that was solid but not part of a solid cast hilt.
Attached Images

Last edited by Iain; 27th July 2021 at 11:12 AM. Reason: clarity
Iain is offline   Reply With Quote