View Single Post
Old 20th October 2018, 04:20 PM   #8
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Thank you Philip! Your insight on this is invaluable as you are the foremost authority on Chinese and East European arms in my opinion.

I see what you mean on the blade and fullering. What I was suggesting was that it seemed atypical for any hirschfanger or couteau de chasse blade I have seen, and perhaps in this context seemed Chinese in gestalt.

Having said that, what I was suggesting here was that this light sword overall may have been made in Europe recalling Chinese influences as I had noted with the imports brought in as well as in some cases workers from China being present in some workshops. It seems I have seen similar examples of these kinds of swords somewhere, perhaps it was in a Polish reference.

Clearly this decoration is not Chinese, but it does seem to allude to the style as seen from an interpretive view. Along with the also interpretive style of the guard (but here with notably European decorative character in the floral) ...perhaps this is indeed a version of sidearm meant to allude to the Chinese character in fashionable elements of swords of the times.

I recall talking with you some years back on the so called 'Tonquinese' style mentioned in Aylward, "The Smallsword in England" (1945). It seems to be that those influences in that sword form might have well extended into other swords such as these intended to recall or allude to such style from China.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote