View Single Post
Old 2nd November 2019, 08:25 PM   #33
ariel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahratt
Dear Ariel, perhaps you did not notice my question, which I voiced above? Please tell me, in the United States it is considered normal to make the same scientific report at 2 scientific conferences (that is, the same article will then be published in the same language in two different scientific publications)? Just in Russia, this is considered completely unacceptable ...

And one more question. Please tell me what you consider the “Weapon of the Crimean Khanate”? (this is what the report was called). Is this any weapon that fell into the Crimean Khanate? Can Polish, Russian, and Turkish weapons be called if the Crimean Khanate used such weapons — Crimean weapons?
The presenter was asked a question which, by the way, he couldn’t answer: “If in Russia a Russian will drive a German BMW car, on which he, as the owner of this car, will make inscriptions in Russian, will this BMW car - “Russian car?” I wonder how you answer this question.
Can a Russian Kalashnikov assault rifle and an American M-16 rifle be called "Somali weapons" if these weapons are used by Somali pirates?
Long list of questions... I’ll start from the bottom.

We have multiple examples of weapons utilizing foreign-made parts or made entirely in one country and used in another. They sill can be called by the name of the user country, and the name of the manufacturer is added if known.

Indian Firangi is still Indian despite European blades. Caucasian shashkas are still Caucasian despite having Polish, Hungarian and German blades. Russian officers were proud of their German blades.
Cossack Hosts ordered their entire shashkas from Poland and Belgium and they are still Cossack by usage.

AK-47 made in China is not Russian : it is Chinese. There are also Polish, Bulgarian, Philippine etc copies of AK-47 manufactured by license. And salesmen call them as such.

And, as a matter of fact, AK-47 is not Russian either: does the name of Hugo Schmeisser tell you something?

The presenter specifically said that he was not discussing the place of manufacture; he was explicitly referring to the place of usage based on the name of the owner: one of the Crimean Giray khans.

Thus, your criticisms and indignation were out of place.

As to the issue of double publication. Neither in the US nor in Europe are there any restrictions on presenting the same material ( poster or oral) at several meetings. However, there are very severe punishments for publishing the same material as full papers in different journals

For example, you yourself published an article in the Russian journal “ Studies of historical weapons” arguing for the legitimacy of a name “ karud” for straight-bladed pesh-kabz and virtually simultaneously re- published the English translation of the same paper in the Italian journal “Armi Antici”
As a Chief Editor of one medical journal, and Assoc. Editor of another I can assure you that would ban you forever from both journals and from a multitude of others as well. But ... different countries, different customs.

BTW, where is my copy of the English translation of your book? I did buy it from the publisher, after all.
You can send it to my e-mail address. Thanks.

Last edited by ariel; 2nd November 2019 at 10:03 PM.
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote