View Single Post
Old 18th February 2024, 11:05 AM   #9
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai View Post
Yes, that's the lower quality I was referring to; only the basal third (the broadened part next to the blade) might be older (if the material is actually different).
Yep, I understand you wrong, sorry! But I still think that all is original since the fittings on the scabbard are also from mamas.

Quote:
This or tannic acid might be worth a try; phosphoric acid might also work to bring laminations out. If nice pamor/laminations are showing up, only etching with arsenic will bring them out as needed from a traditional point of view.
Jep, agree with you. But since David won't use strong chemicals, instant coffee would be an alternative to show the pattern. But I would recommend further polish.

Quote:
I actually wasn't referring to the common pedang (or kelewang according to Djelenga) which is basically single-edged.

This is actually another type of blade that is based on the typical straight, double-edged cundrik blade - just curved and usually a bit longer...

Here are 3 more examples of this specific pattern/type.
Yes, you are correct, you should have a X-ray vision, all shown examples are single edged. I've shown them regarding mamas/silver fittings.

Best,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote