View Single Post
Old 8th May 2010, 04:03 PM   #13
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Anstey
Well David - with respect I can only assume you don't study Japanese martial arts - but you feel you can say a 400 year old school with unbroken linage is ineffectual then you must know more than many do?

Chosun is a modern invented school - maybe it is effective I don't know, but when you invent a martial art based on a now defunct weapon and call if effective then you are missing the point of budo

I recommend doing a search on Chosun to find out more - maybe try ebudo or bullshido for starts.

Me, well, yes I am a student of legitimate budo and have trained in Japan on numerous occasions - maybe I am bias. I had hoped to show you a demonstration with undisputed experts in the field to show true tessen jutsu and I am sorry that you didn't see or appreciate this. I get annoyed at seeing rubbish touted as legitimate. What I will say with certainty is that the clips I have shown are correct - you may not understand it like you do the Chosun clip but I think you should make critical judgement on something you have experience with.

I thought the the OP thread is a great one with some really good info and pics. I know the Chosun clip is newly invented rubbish - so I only wanted for you to see real history - isn't this what this site is about - real history in regards to weapons?
Jason, i suppose i understand your defensive stance, but if you really read what i stated you would have noticed that i clearly made the remark that it "Says little about the historical reality of course..."
Also i did not refer to Hiroi Sensei as "comical", i said the the demonstration appeared "comical ineffectual", and i will stick by that comment as i think it does. I am afraid that as a demo video it was shot far too far away to show the viewer any nuances of the moves, but even so i still doubt that the fan holder here would stand much of a chance against an experienced swordsman with these moves.
I do understand and appreciate your pointing out that the first group of images are from a newly developed art. This is important to note in an ethnographic discussion, but again bares no relevance on the effectiveness of the art itself. In a real fight the age of your "tradition" is reletively unimportant.
You certainly haven't ruffled my feathers Jason. I hope i haven't ruffled yours.
David is offline   Reply With Quote