Thread: New Katars
View Single Post
Old 14th October 2007, 04:44 AM   #26
CollectingNewbie

Default .

Tom, I too like you was very hesitant to even touch them with any type of anything at first, but there are some very helpful tips on cleaning blades posted here on the site and as they will all tell you it really really is important to start with the simple things, water and soap and the such before you move to sandpaper and chemicals, ive used everything from water to acids to a dremel to get out tougher spots of rust and I always coat my items with a clear enamal lacker (easily removed with an hour or so soak in meneral oil) to help protect the new finished surfaces from rust and crud that builds up from handling, but you still have to wipe off the once and a while. Good luck with your projects

Jens, sadily when that katar arrived it was in horrible horrible condition, and when I took it out of the shiping packedge one of the side bars broke off it had been so rusted, I cleaned her up as best I could and ended up donating her to a local musiem in my hometown, she was once a beautiful peice though.
CollectingNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote