View Single Post
Old 10th November 2020, 02:19 AM   #13
BUCC_Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
Exactly, and it seems that to have the usual langets at length for three screws on two sides as per the standard practice would be sufficient to prevent through and through cutting of the shaft. The bladed appendages would be against the grabbing of the lance business end to push it away.

Getting back to this being a pike, given the manner in which they were used as you describe, how would this added blade feature be feasible? As noted, the horse and rider would not rush into a sharp pole ahead, but if these were brought up as the riders reached them it would be hard to avoid.
Just to spitball ideas...

The side blades could be an obvious “Don’t grab my lance” addition. Could they also be additional damage potential from a glancing blow during a charge, or rather, when receiving a charge? This would be supported by the hooks, that could dismount violently if the lance tip did not make purchase. Very much a “congrats on making it past the tip unharmed. Guess what’s next?”

The hooks certainly don’t appear to be for stacking purposes. A haft of similar size will not fit within the hook. I recall seeing some polearms stacked (or rather, leaning against each other like a tripod) in artwork, but this doesn’t seem to be viable for this example.

In order of utility/role, my thoughts are currently, in order from most likely to least:

1) Receiving a charge, and engaging thereafter
2) Secondary infantry charge/role (unmounted)
3) Mounting a charge
4) Hunting
BUCC_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote