View Single Post
Old 20th November 2023, 03:13 AM   #7
Radboud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall View Post
Now that I see the context, I am curious on that these seem to appear on blades on French swords, or in European armies' swords during Napoleonic period.
There was mention of these devices being used on Solingen made blades.
I have seen other British swords non-Runkel blades that have the Rose, I just don't have one in my collection unfortunately.

Quote:
I had thought that most blades on French swords of these times were from Klingenthal and of course so marked on the blade spines.
Only the ones made for the French army needed to be marked on the spine with the manufacturers' name (this includes some Solingen-made An XI light cavalry trooper swords).

Officers' private purchase of swords may or may not be marked, and many blades were imported to meet the demand for blades. Also I say the sword is French, but it could have just as easily belonged to one of the officers from another nation serving in the French Army.

As a side note, I have seen one pamphlet addressed to French officers following the invasion and take over of Solingen, translations for French to German sword terms for those looking to buy a new sword

Quote:
Is it possible that alternatively the blades with these devices on the spines had to do with Caissagnard in Nantes, who embellished blades with certain esoteric and cosmological themed motif?
I personally believe that Caissagnard was a cutler and assembled swords from purchased parts rather than manufacture them. I don't believe that the iconography seen on his swords started with him, as there are a lot of variations found on other swords. I suspect he was following the fashion of the time.

I have one Caissagnard blade and the spine is clear of markings.

Quote:
It seems these blades could have come from Solingen? but would the motif including the 'rose' have been applied in Solingen? then these blades were fitted there.

I am looking forward to other examples of swords with this floral device on the blade spine, and more on these details. Thank you for this thread!
Looking at the swords with the remaining blue and gilt, I believe that many blades were exported pre-decorated and sold to cutlers who would then fit them to hilts and scabbards.
Radboud is offline   Reply With Quote