Thread: Saudi Saifs
View Single Post
Old 7th September 2015, 05:43 PM   #23
Lee
EAAF Staff

Thank you again!

I agree entirely that the gold koftari inscription is more recent than the blade itself. It appears to lie in a very shallow depression with a hatched surface to allow the gold to adhere. It does not appear to be new, however; would it be likely it is early 20th century en suite with the Arabian mountings or is it more likely some fakery added well after the swords 'working life?'

I also agree that this blade has been etched since its departure from Arabia, presumably to enhance visibility of the wootz pattern (but not by me). The main blade surface remains quite smooth and fine dark pigmented material is liberated upon each oiling. Very unfortunately, residues of the etchant likely remained on the blade (very important to neutralize and remove this) and then got transferred to the scabbard, leading to some later rusting. Nothing deep and not correctable by a (culturally appropriate, per above) restoration to a bright polish, though I'll just try to keep it oiled and otherwise leave it alone.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote