Thread: Appreciation
View Single Post
Old 14th July 2010, 11:33 PM   #14
A. G. Maisey

Thank you gentlemen for your responses, and I do hope more responses from others will follow.

Reading these responses what I am seeing is a recital of the reasons why we collect, as we ourselves see those reasons.

Speaking for myself, I am uncertain that I can clearly identify why I continue to collect keris. The keris has been a part of my life for so long that taking a keris into my care has become almost an automatic response. In recent years, say, the last ten years or so, when I buy a keris that I identify as one that is to be kept, it is almost as if on the first moment that I see it, there is a cord that runs from the keris to me. I usually do not examine it critically, and condition is of absolutely no importance, that keris goes home with me. Other times I will buy a keris for myself just because I recognise its quality, or rarity, but often a purchase of this type lacks that "connective" element.

So, that's how I buy, but why do I buy?

I don't really know, except that it is what I do.

However, if I go back a long way in time, I can very clearly recall that being in contact with keris was something that took me into another world. Maybe the reason why this doesn't happen now is because to a large extent I have been living in that other world --- albeit a modern version of it --- for many years now.

We can all probably rationalise our collecting in one way or another, however, I would like to put forth the idea that at its roots, our collecting is an emotional activity that is the product of memories and experiences stored in the sub-conscious, and the activities that we undertake when we collect, give us with access to those stored memories and experiences, providing pleasure and assisting in the maintenance of mental balance in our increasingly difficult world.

As Rick said:-

An investment in sanity if you will .
A. G. Maisey is online now   Reply With Quote