Thread: Appreciation
View Single Post
Old 14th July 2010, 05:57 AM   #9
Paul Duffy

Default Appreciation

Alan,
What a wonderful fire-ball to throw into the Keris-Warung- Kopi hearth,the puzzlying nature of human pleasure.I've not read the book,but in a review I see that the author argues that pleasure is not primarily a response to certain perceptual and sensory experiences,but instead has a significant cognitive component,what we think about has a huge impact on how much pleasure we derive from it.
I'm a collector of keris,my appreciation was,and still is the complexity of a keris.I have,over time come to understand that a keris comprises many components,handle and fittings,sheath,and blade.I certainly gain more knowledge about the keris,and the community in which they were and still are made and used by reading,looking at as many keris as I can,and by visiting this site.
I know that part of my pleasure is being able to learn more,I suppose why else would I be here on the web.
But my pleasure is not in the dollar value,although it is a factor.Business and pleasure can co-exist
I enjoy showing keris to friends,collectors and non-collectors who are interested.
I sometimes wonder if the pleasure is just the ability to escape from the discipline of every-day working life.But then why not just listen to Bill Frissell playing jazz guitar,or almost any Beethoven music.
I don't know why I don't have the same fascination for Japanese,or Indian edged weapons,,why do I get more pleasure from keris,especially those from
Java.
I think it is a very subjective issue,and I agree that many friends and family don't share my pleasure.Though some do,it's hard not to resist the odour of Indonesia.Once a friend picks up a keris,looks at the blade,wonders about the pamour,or sniffs scented wood then they have been affected by the fire ball.
Paul Duffy is offline   Reply With Quote