View Single Post
Old 10th October 2023, 09:35 PM   #12
werecow

It might also be worth noting a response from the seller, when I asked him about the scabbard and the origin of the sword:

Quote:
Indeed, most often, it is said to be from Tunisia but I have never read a good explanation about that. The fact is in the past I found an old picture in a book (I can't remember which one but I am pretty sure the picture can be found online) that show a man selling arms in Tripoli at the late 19th century. And some of these swords were in the inventory. Also, the scabbard, is really like an Algerian work ; similar in construction to the sheath of the kodmi (knife from Bou Saadi). So, even if it is usually said to be from Tunisia, we can assume it could have been encountered from Algeria to Libya.
Note that the picture he's referring to is no doubt the one shown in one of the threads I've listed at the top of the page.

But I mention it mainly because I find his comment on the scabbard work resembling Algerian work interesting but I have no familiarity with kodmi knives, and I can't really find a lot of images of the scabbards that I can connect to what he's talking about, so I can't confirm (although it sounds plausible enough on the face of it given that they are all neighboring countries and Tunisia is relatively narrow).

Does anyone have an example of picture of a scabbard on a kodmi knife that demonstrates what he's talking about? The closest thing I could find is the one attached.
Attached Images

werecow is offline   Reply With Quote