View Single Post
Old 5th September 2007, 12:01 AM   #24
Alam Shah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alam Shah
... this is a ceremonial piece from the Malaysian state of Selangor. The emblem is the coat of arms of Selangor, also known as "Darul Ehsan" (Abode of Sincerity).

Hilt and sheath are from elephant ivory. The blade is for decoration, but still aesthetically pleasing, gentle 5 (luks) meandering curves.
My initial comments stated that it is a ceremonial piece... a more accurate term would be, a presentation piece.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
I am more of the mind that this is not a common souvenir piece, but perhaps some kind of presentation gift.
I am still a bit confused by Shahrial's initial response connecting this to a particular office. I would think that would be served by a "real" keris blade.
The emblem is the coat of arms of Selangor, also known as "Darul Ehsan" (Abode of Sincerity). Selangor is one of the richest state in Malaysia. Looking closely at the crude emblem works, it was probably commissioned to commemorate a certain event, by the state. Hence, the hilt, hilt cup, blade doesn't look much like the traditional keris parts we are familiar with.
Alam Shah is offline   Reply With Quote