View Single Post
Old 14th April 2009, 02:40 PM   #23
Pukka Bundook

Hi Simon,

Since this thread started, an update from Khuda to Khunda has occured. This is very good to know, but also emphasises the strong point, that to avoid confusion, there is nothing wrong with the well reccognised term Kora being used just to ensure we are all on the same page.

When the research is complete, and the definite name and spelling is ensured, then change could be introduced......(Just like Bodecia and Boudicca...but don't quote me on the spelling!!)

Re the Kora /Khunda, It appears Rawson and J.Paul as well as Eggerton, believed this to be the earlier weapon of Nepal,, and lost favour to the khukri in more modern times (18th Century?) I was just reading about this somewhere, and must re-find it!

I am afraid I have nothing to add from my own 'wisdom'...only what has been written by others, either correctly or incorrectly!

BTW, May I ask when the above illustration was made?
It has occured to me how often historical paintings often show representations of contemporay fashion and armament.....(Like clothing and weaponry of the middle-ages depicted on a fair few paintings of Biblical scenes.) Not saying this is the case here, but the thought came to mind.

Thanks Simon,

All the best,

Richard.

Last edited by Pukka Bundook; 14th April 2009 at 02:50 PM.
Pukka Bundook is offline   Reply With Quote