View Single Post
Old 12th September 2020, 12:17 AM   #50
gp

Quote:
Originally Posted by shayde78
Thanks gp for mentioning Artemisia. She is a fascinating figure, and one that the patriarchy of art history doesn't give fair credit. There is a great study there about how the Saints and Biblical characters would resonate with the general public in ways we cannot fully appreciate from our modern perspective. How many young women identified directly with the story of Judith, and saw her as a kind of hero. Few, however, could express the scene as vividly as Artemisia. Thanks again for mentioning her so I could research her biography and catalogue of works.
you're welcome !

Not only a most talented but also a very intriging and interesting woman I have to say as a (not so young anymore☺) male
and also think her to be a hero!

additional:

a very interesting documentary film is made by Ellen Weissbrod :

https://www.humanarts.org/projects.p...oman-like-that

and I can recommend her biography by Mary D. Garrard "The Image of the Female Hero in Italian Baroque "
FYI: I spend an hour watching & admiring the painting in the Palazzo Pitti, Florence: a beautiful but very intimidating paiting.
Hence send my wife and daughter to the juwelry department in the Palazzo Pitti not to give them any mischievous thoughts, owning a sharp yataghan at home ....☺☺☺

BR

Gunar

Last edited by gp; 12th September 2020 at 02:08 AM.
gp is offline   Reply With Quote