View Single Post
Old 18th May 2015, 01:03 AM   #15
rickystl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman McCormick
Hi Rick,
Nice restoration as usual. I'm not sure about the sling rings. I thought the leather sling was attached as per this photograph of my rifle. I did research this method of attachment as my rifle came with the sling in situ and I wasn't sure if it was correct but my findings did reinforce that this was in actual fact the correct method but of course that's not to say that the rings are historically incorrect. Re the barrel bands, mine are brass if I remember correctly, stuff been in storage for the past year and a bit. Electroplating copper sheet with silver for your barrel bands would have been a bit cheaper than sterling silver but that's just my Caledonian thrift. Again a real nice display.
My Regards,
Norman.
Hi Norman.
OHHHH.....that's a beautiful rifle!!! And appears in really nice shape.
I'm sure you are right about the attachment of the leather sling. In fact, next time you have it out of storage, if you get a chance, would you take a couple more pics of how that leather was attached? I've never really known myself. But I'm not too bashful to try and take advantage of another collector's research. LOL. I can have a leather sling made and artificially aged, and attached the same way, if I knew how it's tied/knotted.
The sling ring assemblies are mostly something out of my imagination. LOL
however, I've seen a couple of Ottoman Tufuk Rifles with a similar attachment. They are easily removable by taking off the smaller ring on the other end. In fact, I can use them on my Ottoman rifle as well. The sling rings were just more of my experimentation and playing. LOL
Brass barrel bands. Every rifle and pistol I've seen had either iron or silver barrel bands. Doesn't mean brass was not used. I've just never seen any. I'm still being surprised all the time. Thanks for your post and the sling information. Most helpful. Rick.
rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote