Thread: Need Help
View Single Post
Old 20th August 2020, 05:07 PM   #14
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

It is as often, the issue of name of an item for classification purposes while the item itself carries various characteristics of several forms and elements which place it in variant status. Collectors are inherently inclined to seek specific categorization and wish to avoid added qualifying description in many cases.

The term 'bolo' is a broadly used word in Philippine description of edged weapons which were in many cases tools or implements, which often served as arms to the point that they were even included in certain Filipino martial arts.

As can be seen in this plate, various of this genre fall into the collective category yet their characters defy distinct categoric description.

The espada ancha, like many ethnographic edged weapons, has a quite collective categorization which varies in degree in use with similar disparities.
The term itself means literally 'large sword', and seems to refer mostly to the very stout blades on many, even most, of the frontier versions. In other cases, military blades or civilian arming blades shortened occur in the wear as accouterments in more dress settings mounted in these hilts are termed 'espada ancha'. I have one such from Santa Fe, N.M. in this manner (no pics yet avail.) but clearly not fit for the rugged frontier use.

In the case of this 'bolo', I agree the comparison to espada ancha by term is tenuous in degree, but that the hilt on this archipelago edged weapon or tool is clearly with 'European' styling with guard in that character. The riveted grip plates recall the espada ancha hilts, but of course overall, I would say this would not be in the espada ancha category. The comparison however would be viable in degree reflecting the possible Spanish influence with the guard.
Note the curled pommel on the bottom example in the plate of illustrations .

This would seem a 'bolo' type (in group) element, paired with the European type guard, and the blade of undetermined type but clearly a chopper for utility type use primarily.
Attached Images

Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote