View Single Post
Old 8th May 2022, 02:18 PM   #6
GePi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel View Post
GePi,
You brought two very interesting examples. Your shamshir seems to have an incredibly rare double-edged blade. Also, its scabbard has wire stitching, traditionally regarded as a hallmark of Ottoman manufacture, but the handle has a typical Indian gilded cloth wrapping and ( from what I can imagine) made of carved ivory, also suggesting Indian manufacrure.

I cannot see the pommel of your “yataghan”, but the blade has almost flissa profile. However, Berber flissas did not use wootz blades.

In short, IMHO, both swords exhibit fascinated mixes of different traditions.
I do not know how to pinpoint their origins, but both are unquestionably real and original and deserve active discussion.
More photos may help.
Great examples!
Thank you, unfortunately the Shamshir is not mine, I just saved the pictures for reference, way too expensive, and unobtainable to me due to CITES anyway
The blade is early Qajar I am certain, when and where it obtained the rest of its components, who knows.

The Yatagan belongs to a small group, I know two others with almost identical blades but more eared hilts like ottoman examples, one was sold on RSword's site and can still be found in the sold archive, the other I found on a small dealers home page. The hilt decoration is typical Qajar work I would say.

Pictures of the latter:
Attached Images

GePi is offline   Reply With Quote