View Single Post
Old 1st May 2021, 10:27 PM   #8
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitry View Post
In addition to what has already been mentioned, I recommend SPLENDEUR DE L'ARMURERIE HONGROISE, a profusely-illustrated 1999 Belgian exhibition catalog of Hungarian arms from the state museums. Scarce, but possible to find. And in a Romance language, not in magyar!

Jim, what does this Transylvanian knot look like?

The 'Transylvanian knot', if I understand correctly, is simply an idiom describing a phrase or group of symbols or words in acronym or combinations thereof which are intended as talismanic or magical imbuement. As I noted, in the 17th and 18th centuries Europe had popularized these kinds of themes on blades in many cases.

Addendum:
Just found photos of a saber I had, since 1976, but traded it away in the 90s. I bought it from a well known mail order dealer with the 'description' (?) '18th century Hungarian hussar saber. It turned out this was an Arabian saber hilted with a much favored Hungarian blade. I was told the inscription was basically 'jibberish' and non translatable. I was surprised in 2015 to discover this material on the 'Transylvanian knot' which told a lot on these strange words on the blade of this saber. I wish I still had it.

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 2nd May 2021 at 01:40 AM.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote