Thread: A Needle
View Single Post
Old 11th December 2016, 08:12 PM   #11
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
This sounds feasible. I have no idea what such a needle might look like, but rugs are made on heavy woven base, so yes, maybe.
Alan, I was thinking of loop rugs rather than woven rugs. In the case of loop rugs, a fairly wide needle with wool through the eye is poked through the back of a piece of hessian or similar strong backing and then pulled out leaving behind a loop of the wool. This is repeated many times, often with different colors etc. to make a pattern. The many loops so created are then cut so that you have two loose ends, and the loose ends are trimmed to create a rug of thick pile. This was one of my craft assignments, along with basket weaving, when I was 10 and went to State School in Victoria. It is slow and tedious work, but the finished product was not bad, and it felt great to walk on the thick pile. There are kits with various designs that can still be purchased in Australia.

Modern examples of various sized loop rug needles are shown below.

Ian

Last edited by Ian; 11th December 2016 at 08:28 PM. Reason: Having problems with an attachment--won't load correctly
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote