View Single Post
Old 6th April 2012, 05:09 PM   #8
Matchlock
(deceased)

Location: Bavaria, Germany - the center of 15th and 16th century gunmaking

Hi 'Nando,

I am glad you came in with this - and thanks a million for leafing thru your library!

I knew this piece, of course; it is in a Czech museum and was published by Durdik.

I totally have to disagree with the date 'ca. 1470' assigned by Durdik et al.
Guessing this date was inspired by the fact that the touch hole of the octagonal barrel is still situated on top - in its earliest possible place - , by the relative shape of the barrel (of which only the rear portion is shown), the presence of what might be a late-style mark in front of the touch hole, and most of all by the presence of a tang (shortened later), all denote that this actually is another composite arsenal piece.

So this dating, as so many others, seems to have fallen prey to a first sight assignation.

As is almost always the case with composite pieces, the barrel seems to be the oldest/earliest part. It, too, however, might have been altered and been mounted in several other stocks! If I were to date it, I would suggest ca. 1530-50', the stock with its prounced deeply-cut thumb rest - and here we have a true parallel to the Copenhagen piece - clearly dating from the 1560's by the earliest

Again, there is a high probability that this gun was assembled only when the need of firearms had increased to a level unbearable: the 1640's, the late Thirty Years.

An arquebus of ca. 1520-30 is illustrated on a ca. 1530 Tounai mille fleurs tapestry in the museum of Burghausen, Upper Bavaria. It shows the same top touch hole but a contemporary stock with no thumb rest (attached).

Best,
Michl
Attached Images

Last edited by Matchlock; 6th April 2012 at 09:52 PM.
Matchlock is offline   Reply With Quote