Thread: Kris naga
View Single Post
Old 24th June 2021, 10:42 PM   #16
A. G. Maisey

Jean, I've spent a lot of time looking at your photos, I am still not prepared to get too positive about origin, but one thing does really stick out like a sore thumb. The greneng. This is a really old style of greneng. I cannot accept that the keris itself is old, so the greneng is a recent copy --- recent in keris terms, not in terms of yesterday's dinner. Do we know anywhere that has used this greneng style at any time during the last couple of hundred years?

I cannot think of anywhere, I've only ever seen this greneng on really old keris.

How about you?

The other thing that must be considered, & that has not yet been addressed, is the form of the sirah cecak.

The carving of the gandhik is clumsy, to say the least, it does not reflect even a similar degree of skill to the carving of the naga itself. I've seen this clumsy gandhik work on keris from the period immediately before & after WWII that were made in Jogja, I knew the son of the man who had made them before WWII and the son also made a few in the 1950's. The son died around 20 years ago.

This keris is an open question, I suggest that we should keep the details in mind until we find a signpost.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote