View Single Post
Old 5th April 2022, 06:22 PM   #2
xasterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
For collectors of Moro blades and other blades from the Philippines, the Baltimore show was a "bonanza!" There was a large quantity of Filipino blades there, and some supremely RARE ones. I was fortunate enough to get one of the very rare ones, and one that was a previous part of Dave Schmiedt's renowned collection. I am sure this sword had a name among the Moros, but I am not sure what that name was. It is not a barung; it's too light, and the spine of the blade does not have the consistent curve of a barung. The wooden hilt is beautifully carved in a naga, or serpent, motif with silver eyes and inserts down its spine. The ferrule is like one typically seen on a barung. This sword is the same sword shown in Robert Cato's book, MORO SWORDS (Singapore, 1996). the sword had no scabbard, but I would have to imagine that it originally had a scabbard similar to a barung, with its ferrule neatly fitting into the center of the mouth of the scabbard. Overall length: 25in./63.5cm/ Blade length: 18.25in./46.36cm/ Blade's widest point: 2.5in./6.4cm
A pic of the sword in Mr. Cato's book is attached. He also does not name the sword.
Hello, just curious if this sword has an upper edge near the tip. Thanks!
xasterix is offline   Reply With Quote