View Single Post
Old 6th June 2020, 09:20 AM   #17
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariusgmioc
While some Tumbuk-lada may have wider blades, there are many with blades indiscernable from those of sewars. Yet, they still are Tumbuk-lada because in this case, it is the hilt that has the defining role.
Hi Marius,

I think that this is your own classification while others seemingly have an other classification, see for example here: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ighlight=sewar
It's a name game and I guess that hundred years in future will be still a similar discussion!

Quote:
same goes for example with the Rencong that quite often has a blade absolutely identical to that of a Sewar, but distinguishes by its long, strongly curved hilt.
Similar discussion, one person will call it rencong with sewar hilt, others sewar. And there are differences between sewar and rencong blades.

Quote:
here are the photos of a few sewars in my collection. The first one to the left has rhino hilt an upper scabbard. And I have another one that I couldn't find. They are rather small in size (around 23 cm).
Nice collection of fine sewar examples! Like said, I strongly doubt that the handles and cross pieces of the scabbards are from rhino horn, it would be the first I see! Any close-ups where you can show it clearly?

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote