View Single Post
Old 31st July 2011, 05:53 AM   #25
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edster
Jim, I stand corrected on Ali Dinar. Some of his swords are documented, including in the Forum. Got my "Alis" confused. I think it was Mohammad Ali of Egypt who defeated the last Fung king in 1821. I wonder if there are any documented swords from the Fung period.

Best,
Ed
Ed, please pardon my poorly worded note, I was unclear on which Ali Dinar was meant, and wanted to reconfirm. These names can be extremely confusing as they have so much similarity. These are often extremely complex as they are almost a geneological record in themselves when read entirely. For example, Muhammed Ali's son, who was also one of his general's, was the one referred to in 1821, but Muhammed Ali was indeed one part of his full name.

I am not sure if there are swords which can be attributed to the Fung dynasty, but there a number of heirloom blades remounted which belonged to Ali Dinar and certainly may be of these earlier periods. There are quite a number of weapons in Istanbul of Mamluk association which date from many of the earlier periods, and are well documented.

I would not presume to correct you, as I personally have learned a great deal from your outstanding dissertation and work on Kassalla, as well as our conversations.Superb research!!!

All the very best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote