View Single Post
Old 28th July 2011, 03:49 PM   #21
Iain

Mark,

These blades were purely export items. They were a cheap product never intended to showcase the particular skills of the maker. They were made in this style because that is what the Sudanese market wanted.

They are in no way comparable to the military patterns and other items the same makers produced at the time, nor where they ever meant to be.

The markings, as Jim noted, were recognized in the market the blades were intended for.

If your blade has the following configuration - cross and orb at the top of the fuller on side, lion on the other, flies on the base both sides - it matches other blades from the maker.

Attached the confirmation of Peter Kull's use of the three marks.

Also a takouba with the exact same blade, only reprofiled for local tastes.

Of course you have it in hand and if you are convinced it is something else I doubt I can change your mind, but just to let you know why those of us with some long standing interest in takouba and kaskara are rather sure of what you have.

As Jim notes, the possibility of a native copy always exists, but in this case I would be quite ready to believe you've got the genuine, made for export, article.

The pommel is particularly interesting, as the Ethiopians were not adverse to using the occasional kaskara, perhaps the different hilting could indicate some usage outside the usual Sudanese sphere of influence.

All the best,

Iain
Attached Images

Iain is offline   Reply With Quote