View Single Post
Old 28th July 2011, 02:10 PM   #20
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Jeff, thank you so much, now I recall that blade of yours and in particular the copper inlaid cross and orb, a subject of considerable discussion back then.

After seeing Jeff's blade carrying these same markings but with a blade with different fuller it suggests these very well may be native copies of earlier blade forms and using the Kull marks. It does seem that some native stamps reflected copies of the Solingen markings well established in extant trade blades and particular makers in certain areas adopted a certain consistancy in use of marks groupings that reflected certain symbolic character.

As far as I know, Solingen trade blades, especially in these later times, did not carry copper or brass inlaid markings, but did sometimes have marks of makers or purveyors. It does seem that several types of fullering or channels were typical in native kaskara blades, and Mark's example and Jeff's carry the marks grouping with association to the Kull marks, while being of two of the fuller patterns.

Mark, it should be noted that Solingen was very much an industrial cartel that produced blades of many styles that were intended to certain markets. They were producing rapier blades for Spain and her colonies long after the narrow blade rapier had become obsolete elsewhere. The blades for many different types of sword were continued as dictated by traditions kept in place for periods long after the initial form originally had been supplanted by other influences and forms. This is very much in keeping with 'revival' type weapons in many cultures and the reason why we see anachonistic styles in many native weapons such as Egyptian style features in many African weapons; kopis and machaira style features in Indian and other forms etc.
In Solingen certain blades often carried certain inscriptions that seem to have suggested a 'brand' system for blade types to certain markets, such as 'Andrea Ferara' on the blades destined to Scottish markets; and Sahagun to certain Continental markets.
Solingen and England both procuced antiquated sickle form blades to Abyssinia into to the 1930s for thier shotels, and it does seem that a number of European produced blades of broadsword blades for native markets did come out of Solingen. It is about commerce most of all rather than current styles or fashion.

Ed, I believe that Ali Dinar,who was the last sultan of Darfur, was killed in 1916 by British forces during insurgences at that time, if that is the one you are referring to. I am not sure of others with that name were earlier.

All best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote