View Single Post
Old 27th July 2011, 04:32 PM   #14
Cuirassier

Default Hi Jim

Thanks for that. The problem for me is I do not believe the blade is that recent. The markings, which I think you have alluded to, could well have been added at a later date. The passant lion done with copper (or possibly gold, but I think copper), plus the orb I am sure have been added to the blade sometime after the blade was made. The orb for example shows the pitting / tiny pot holes of the metal underneath, so these tiny holes were there when the orb was added. I can not see the mayfly marks easily, as they are hidden under the langets, but again these could have been added later.

Very old blades are not my thing. I love Napoleonic and more recent swords most. But I have seen and handled a number of older blades, as I have handled kaskaras, some of which had trade blades.

The blade I have is naturally aged; I think the photos show this. I do not believe a blade made in Prussia mid-late 19th Century would a) have this amount of aging and b) have aged like this one has, especially given the dry arid conditions of Somalia, etc. The blade has pitting and corrosion not from rust (as well I know that "friend" very well). I do not think a Solingen blade maker would have made anything so "rustic" (thinking back to the orb and tiny aging or forging holes); the other trade blades I have seen in kaskaras were not like this. It is difficult because kaskara blades were modeled on ancient blades, so this one could have been made any time from 1100 to 1900, but I am so sure it is not 18th / 19th Century I am going to try and find a carbon dating facility here in Portugal to see if it can be accurately age dated.

So watch this space!
Cheers
Mark
Cuirassier is offline   Reply With Quote