View Single Post
Old 26th September 2015, 05:54 PM   #61
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

This continues to be s most fascinating thread, and I very much admire the gentlemanly exchange in discussing differences in opinion and perspective, case in point Wikipedia and the more recent web phenomenon, Pininterest.
Like most everything, these kinds of venues serve well for many, and of course in varying cases and degrees.
As always, they are only as effective as those who proactively contribute to them, and can be most useful if the material presented is accurately and effectively entered.

I must reiterate, to me online resources are usually quite valuable, but as even with published resources the best policy is to recheck and confirm sources and cites. As noted, many of these references in these online venues are dated, improperly quoted and poorly cited. While their 'benchmark' standing remains, it becomes even more essential to continue research and confirmation.

The book "African Knights" sounds fascinating and I have ordered it!
"African Arms and Armour" has been a keystone in my African references for nearly two decades! and has always served me well. In the concurrent thread on throwing knives, after searching through a good number of esoteric reference sources, I found most of what I sought in 'Spring' (which most of us use to term this now venerable source).

Excellent thread!!!
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote