View Single Post
Old 17th June 2012, 06:32 PM   #27
NovelsRus

Default Omani Khanjar/Jambiya

[QUOTE=Ibrahiim al Balooshi]Salaams all~ Note to Library.

Both the Omani Khanjar and the Jambias in southern Arabia have a somewhat peculiar turned scabbard far greater than the blade size and in some cases monumental in the turn at about 180 degrees. The Omani turn is standard at about 90 degrees but still well in excess to the blade..

In an effort to get to the answer on the shape of the Omani Khanjar and hilt(known only to one person in Muttrah who swears that if we guess it right he will confirm the story) we have completed our exhaustive search of possible ideas which developed as a small list viz ~

1. It is for design and balance and the rest is lost in time going back beyond mediaeval times. The added weight of the additional curve and the belt design tips the weapon over slightly about 10 degrees allowing for a quicker draw..

2. The toe of the scabbard is called the same as the top of a Mosque dome..(quba) perhaps indicating a religious reason. The direction of Mecca is indicated by simply laying the entire thing flat on the ground and lining the khanjar and scabbard up with north; the line indicated by the toe or dome(quba) end of the scabbard is the direction of Mecca and could be used as a sort of compass to indicate prayer direction. In the case of Yemeni scabbards the curve is greater thus indicating the difference in direction from there.

These both sound sensible to me, Ibrahiim. Whatever the angle of the curve, I've admired the Omani Khanjar (I still think of it as a Jambiya) as the most beautiful variety of all similar jambiyas or khanjars. The amount of work in the silver threading, the repousse work (baffling how they can do that!), the Quba and hilt, etc., are all just incredibly artistic and gorgeous.
Never could afford one, though, contenting myself with the Moroccan Koummya in its various forms. BUT....that has changed.

It's Father's Day here in America, and for a Dad's Day present my wife BOUGHT me the most outrageously beautiful Omani Khanjar I've ever seen. I'm still speechless over this. I can die happy now; my walls are full of Arabic daggers, scimitars and the like. Ahhh....peace and contenment reign.
Attached Images

NovelsRus is offline   Reply With Quote