View Single Post
Old 19th December 2007, 10:56 PM   #24
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Norman,
Thank you for referencing that, I did not recall that, so I'll definitely review. Actually it would make sense, as one of a cavalryman's worst fears would be to drop his weapon in the heat of battle. I know that in reading overall it often happens that these references come up, and its frustrating to try to relocate them. I recall reading that Rajputs typically dismounted in during combat, I believe the note stating they considered fighting face to face on foot more chivalrous or something to that effect.
With the hole in the tang button, none of the references I know make mention of using it for a wrist cord, but that is not to say it was not done. Obviously seeing British cavalry, who clearly did use the sword knot as well as lanyards on pistols etc. might influence such use, though obviously such a sensibly applied thought was certainly in place without that.
While such practice may not have seen widespread or standard use, it does seem likely that individuals might use this concept as they saw fit.

On an interesting note on these boomerangs, not that it applies here, but came across an entry in Stone p.348, noting these were used as far NW as Gujerat, where they are termed 'katariya'.

Best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote