View Single Post
Old 19th December 2007, 09:07 PM   #19
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

I think David brings in a good suggestion, that the semi circle in one hand, which is along with the high degree of stylizing in the figure, is quite possibly a shield of some kind. While it is well known, as Norman has noted, that the semi circle with dots is indeed often on Indian weapons and others, this is what is known as 'sickle marks' imitating 'quality' markings on European blades. This example, does not approximate that mark as the sickle marks appear as opposing semi circles with dots, not singly (please see 'early makers marks' thread to see more on this). As much as I would like this part of the figure to incorporate esoteric symbolism, which is often the case, I dont think the overall intent shown in the inscribed figure warrants that possibility.

I find Olikara's notes most interesting, however hesitate to think of a martial arts shield being represented on what appears to be a combative weapon. Although the boomerang suggestion remains compelling, again the degree of latitude in the art typified in the inscribed figure still seems strongly coincidental appearing on a kora with the same dual waved tip (which as noted does not occur on the boomerangs). Also, the discussion has focused on the fact that this weapon is from Bengal...not Nepal. In one post I noted the koras present in east coast India southern regions in the 17th c.

Concerning the 'crown', the same stylizing already discussed suggests this may be varying manner of headress, with various components often used as insignia or symbolic intent, rather than a European 'crown'. David's very astute observation on the 'bow and arrow' is well placed, and the parasol may well be the image intended here as well.

Best regards to all,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote