View Single Post
Old 6th November 2023, 11:13 PM   #1
Fuzzysnuggleduck

Default Early 18th century style Court Sword

Hi,
I picked this one up a few month ago in auction. Was described as a rapier, but is evidently a court sword of the 1700-1750 period in dating.
Name:  1 overview.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  35.1 KB

The blade is stamped on both sides as 'X TOLEDO X' which I gather such stamping in isolation can appear on German-made swords, sort of like an off-brand Sneaker with a pseudo-Nike label.
Name:  2 X Toledo X.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  52.0 KB

Blade feels nice in the hand. A quillion was said to have been broken off by the seller, which is possible, but all I can say is it is short.
Open sort of guard is a mix of the cockle-shell style court sword with a hint of the swept hilt style of bars rather than solid.
Name:  5 guard.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  136.5 KB

The wire appears to be held by a black resin, so may have been repaired or replaced.
Name:  3 Wire and resin.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  149.7 KB
Ornamentation is fairly rough, but seems comparable in principle to rough engraving on the stock of an 18th century jaeger flintlock I have; ornamentation which in no way compares to the finest specimens but was added in any case.
Name:  4 handle.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  85.2 KB

Interested if members have seen comparable examples, and if the style, condition or potential origin can be commented upon with more specifics or certainty.
Name:  8 downward view.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  113.6 KB
Fuzzysnuggleduck is offline   Reply With Quote