View Single Post
Old 8th September 2007, 01:17 AM   #25
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Thanks Tim, that was a pretty interesting thread that brought in some great discussion. I'm left with the idea that Berk was right in his assessment that the M1871 Mauser sword bayonet was closest, and that this appears to be a locally made interpretation. The scabbard, especially with the spike seems to correspond with the dagger type item on the thread with one on its scabbard. I believe it was suggested to have come from Tanganyika or regions around there.
It is most interesting that there was so much German colonial activity there around WWI and this is an excellent example of much studied wars where there were theaters of action seldom discussed. Returning once again to the movies, I am reminded of "African Queen" and the presence of the German navy in Africa (somebody get the popcorn, here I go again!

Really though, the fact that this interpretation of a Mauser bayonet appears to be from these regions in Africa tends to strengthen the suggestion that this firearm themed sword is also from the same regions.

Best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote