View Single Post
Old 23rd May 2022, 01:08 PM   #36
A. G. Maisey

The rice water + salt + sulphur method was one that i came across in a book written in colonial times in English. I used it a few times, but only on older blades that had already been stained previously. I doubt that it would work very well on a new blade.

My remarks in post #33 were intended only to prompt interested people to look a little harder for the way in which genuine m'ranggis in Solo and other Central Javanese locations stain blades, the process is absolutely nothing like what is shown in these videos and it does produce a far superior and longer lasting result than the method shown in this video.

Easier, faster, more convenient, cheaper.

There are multiple variations to the common method used by most people, but basically it is this:-

Bring the blade back to absolutely clean white metal. This is vital.

Take enough warangan (realgar) to cover about one square centimeter, enough freshly squeezed & strained lime juice to fill an eggcup, maybe two, the warangan mixed to a creamy paste with a few drops of lime juice, then enough lime juice slowly mixed into that cream to make about an egg cup full of fluid.

Let it sit for a while --- 20 to 30 minutes --- the realgar settles from the solution into the bottom of the container.

Using a soft old toothbrush, brush the fluid continuously into the blade until the blade becomes sticky, repeat, repeat, repeat until the colour in the blade comes up, rinse the blade with clean running water, pat dry with a lint free cloth, dry in sunlight until totally dry.

Repeat the above process until the rinsed blade has the colour desired. This colour depends upon a number of factors, one of which is to understand the colour to be expected depending upon the classification of the blade.

Choose a warm morning with a clear blue sky.

Results can be obtained in various weather conditions but warm & clear blue sky in best.

From my perspective the wizardry shown in these videos is simply extreme and totally uncalled for. There is no "magic bullet", staining is a skill and like all skills it must be learnt, learning takes time & practice, some people learn quicker than others.

It must be understood that not all realgar is equal, and there is no reliable way to differentiate one batch from another except by use.

As I said, I admire the perseverance of the gentleman who produces these videos. But there is an easier & better way.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote