View Single Post
Old 18th December 2022, 06:22 PM   #5
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando View Post
Gentlemen, remember that the scope of our forum does not reach World Wars period .

It is truly unfortunate that the history of the sword is not seen as transcending the calendar. While the sword as a weapon had of course become 'obsolete' by the mid 19th century, they were still actively used, as seen here, well into the 20th century. I cannot even name the numerous cultures and contexts in which this is the case.
There was no terminus post quem for the weapon form itself, even various types continued production and use in their 19th century (and sometimes earlier) form well into the 20th.

This sword posted, the British 1908 cavalry, saw good use in battle, as shown here with this brilliant gallantry of this Canadian regiment. In Mesopotamia, the British used the M1908 as well during WWI, and the commanding officer, General Allenby was cited as saying to his cavalry,
"..men, you may well go into battle without your trousers...but you WILL NOT go without your sword!!!"
The sword became colloquially known then as the "Allenby sword".

The American counterpart was the M1913 Patton, also with large bowl guard. These had the same superiority as ironically, the ultimate cavalry sword, which was reached just as the use of the sword officially ended.
Gen. George Patton literally had tears in his eyes as he collected these from his men as his beloved horse cavalry became armored vehicles.

So I wanted to end the discussion having noted the history angle, which is important as to me, the weapons are icons of history, which seems to exceed chronological definition....such as medieval, renaissance etc. Naturally, the set parameters of this forum must be observed so I close accordingly.

*finis*
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote